Forming a Nonprofit
What you need to know:
You want to start a nonprofit, and you know what you want to accomplish. But do you know how to do this with a board of directors? Do you know how to comply with the Oregon Nonprofit Corporation Act and the Internal Revenue Code as you set-up your nonprofit? Due to the nature of nonprofit organizations and the laws requiring government oversight, acquiring a 501(c)(3) or other 501(c) status can be challenging. The application and accompanying forms must include a complete description of the proposed activities and operations of the organization, and the IRS can question you and request additional information. An attorney, who is willing to work with you and represent your interests until tax exempt status is granted, will help to streamline the process and put your mind at ease.
Having helped more
than 50 organizations form and achieve their 501(c)(3) or other 501(c) status, Deb is uniquely qualified to provide the guidance and practical help you need to create a solid foundation on which to build a successful nonprofit organization.
To contact Deborah and begin the discussion, please download and complete the intake
form (choose format:)
For a description of legal fees for starting a nonprofit,
(pdf). For a description of legal fees for forming a charter school as a nonprofit,
Deborah Dyson's Services include:
- Preparing and filing articles of incorporation with the Secretary of State of Oregon in accordance with the applicable requirements of the Oregon Nonprofit Corporation Act (ORS 65) and the Internal Revenue Code for 501(c)(3) or other 501(c) organizations.
- Preparing draft bylaws that comply with Oregon law applicable to nonprofit corporations (ORS 65) and federal law (Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3) or other 501(c)). The draft includes governance options, and
bylaws are finalized based on board decisions.
- Working with board members to answer questions about the draft bylaws and completing them based on the board's final decision.
- Preparing agenda for and providing the minutes of
organizational meeting at which board and officers are elected and bylaws adopted.
Deborah Dyson is also available to attend the organizational meeting to answer questions and provide guidance.
- Preparing and submitting the application for a
federal tax ID Number.
- Registering with the Oregon Department of Justice, Charitable Activities Section, if applicable.
- Preparing and filing the application for tax exempt
status, Form 1023 or 1024, including all accompanying forms and schedules.
- Working with the board to prepare IRS recommended policies (accompanies the
- Representing the organization before the IRS via a power of attorney. (Only registered agents of the IRS may offer this service).
- Work with the IRS and represent the organization until
tax-exempt status is
Opting for Do-It-Yourself:
Deborah Dyson, Attorney at Law | PO Box 47 Netarts, OR 97143 | 503-842-6743 |
Copyright © Deborah A.
Dyson - Attorney At Law. All Rights Reserved.