What you need to know:
From administering programs, setting policies, raising funds, hiring and employing staff and contracting, operating a nonprofit requires knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations as well as experience in working with a board of directors. Reporting to donors, the Oregon Department of Justice and Secretary of State, the IRS and other agencies is also critical. Experienced legal advice will help to ensure a solid foundation and trouble-free operations.
Ms. Dyson began her legal career as a tax and corporate attorney and has been active since 2003 helping nonprofits with every legal concern. She has the expertise and experience to help you with legal and tax-exempt advice as required for day-to-day operations.
To contact Deborah and begin the discussion, please download and complete the intake
form (choose format):
For a description of legal fees, click
Choosing legal counsel:
Ms. Dyson understands the issues, challenges and concerns of operating a nonprofit organization and stays informed of changes in the laws and regulations as they occur. Her services include:
- Drafting, reviewing and amending articles of incorporation, including name changes.
- Drafting, reviewing and amending bylaws (for member or non-member organizations).
- Assisting with establishing or reorganizing a governance structure.
- Applying for and negotiating 501(c) tax exempt status with the IRS.
- Negotiating exemption from county property tax.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating leases and contracts.
- Serving as general legal counsel in matters of employment, board governance, contracts, donations, insurance, and other legal matters.
- Drafting and reviewing policies such as personnel policies and IRS recommended policies.
- Setting up planned giving programs, endowments and
- Purchasing real estate.
- Representing the nonprofit before the Oregon Department of Justice, Oregon Employment Department, the Internal Revenue Service, and other government agencies.
- Dissolving and merging the nonprofit.
- Training Programs.